Saniya Sea Resort
Beach Resort / Hotel on Murud Beach
Located on the rugged Konkan coastline, Murud is a small town about 11km from Dapoli. A long, scenic stretch of a beach with swaying palms and a beautiful, ancient Durga Devi temple are its primary attractions. It is also known as Murud - Harnai.
The old Durga Devi temple on the main road, was built way back in the 18th century and there is a lovely pond with refreshingly cold water behind. The carvings on its wooden pillars are worth seeing! A large bell hangs above the left side of the entrance. It is said that after winning the battle of Vasai, Chimaji Appa - the great Maratha warrior had brought that bell from one of the churches.
Murud has a lot of beach resorts amidst the coconut plantations. Delicious, fresh seafood includes the likes of Pomfret, Kingfish (Surmai) and Prawns straight from the Arabian Sea. You can also enjoy pure vegetarian, home-made Konkani cuisine at some of the houses nearby. The beach itself with its soft sand and wide expanses is well suited for walking, jogging or simply freaking out. You will probably be able to watch the white bellied sea eagle, white backed vultures and sea gulls. Olive Ridley sea turtles are also spotted here.
Maharshi Dhondo Keshav Karve, who established the first Indian University for women (SNDT), hailed from Murud. He was awarded the Bharat Ratna in 1958. You can also visit the museum which is dedicated to this great man.
Directions from Dapoli to Murud:
• Take the Harnai road from Dapoli
• Turn left towards Murud after reaching "Asud Pul" (Bridge)
(Road Route: Dapoli - Gimhavane - Asud Pul (bridge) - Murud)
• Saniya Sea Resort, Khalchi Pakhadi, Murud (Phone: 02358 234552)
• Sai Sawali, Saldure, Murud (Phone: 9270326556, 02358-693360, 9422625125)
• Beach Resort Silver Sand, Murud (Phone: 02358 234501)
• Kamat Beach Resort, Murud (Phone: 02358 234526 / 234709)
• Garambi Resort, Murud (Phone: 02358 233288)
• Sagarika Resort, Murud (Phone: 02358 234737)
• Kshitij Lodging & Restaurant, Murud (Phone: 02358 234603)